The USCS Calculator (below) determines the soil group name and symbol from the percentages of gravel, sand, and fines, based on ASTM Visual-Manual Procedure (ASTM-D2488). The USCS Calculator is also included in our Pro Boring Log Software.
Once you have determined percentages of gravel, sand, and fines to the nearest 5%:
- Tap on, or move the slider to, the percentage for each Gravel, Sand, and Fines (Sum=100%).
- In the fourth row, select the Grading, Grading+Fines Type, or Fines Type button(s).
- The soil group name and symbol will appear in the window at the top.
Press the Clear button to reset the calculator and enter another soil sample.
If you have any comments about the usefulness of this tool or suggestions for improving it, please feel free to contact us.
The Munsell Calculator (below) determines the Munsell soil color name from a Munsell color notation (code). The Munsell Calculator is also included in our Pro Boring Log Software.
Once you know the Munsell code (from the Munsell Soil Color Charts):
- Go to Hue 1 – select the appropriate button.
- Proceed to enter the Hue 2, Value, and Chroma values. Depending on the color, some rows/buttons do not apply.
- Once values have been entered for all of the applicable rows/buttons, the Munsell code will appear in the Code/Color row, along with the soil color name and a color strip. To use a second color to describe the soil color, press the “+” button after entering the code for the first color, and then enter the code for the second color.
- The calculated soil color(s) name(s) can be copied and pasted in two formats: a) Soil color name (code), and b) Soil color name.
If you have any comments about the usefulness of this tool or suggestions for improving it, please feel to contact us.