Inconsistent logging practices and logs often result between offices of larger companies or large individual offices. Some of the less-than-desirable behaviors and outcomes that can result from a lack of consistency include:
- Overutilizing or underutilizing certain employees based on how they perform logging or prepare logs;
- Unnecessary editing and reformatting of logs by reviewers, due their personal preferences;
- Overreliance upon in-office employees because employees from other offices “do things differently in that office;” and
- Client perception that the consultant is not able to deliver consistent work products across its offices.
The most common causes of inconsistent logging practices and logs are:
- Lack of company standards for geological logging and log preparation;
- Insufficient training of employees in the use of these standards;
- Lack of tools that support the implementation of company standards; and
- Company allowance for decentralized decision making regarding logging and log preparation practices.
Recommended solutions may include any or all of the following actions:
- Creation of standard operating procedures for geological logging, including soil classification and well installation, and log preparation, including standard log templates;
- Training employees in the use of these standards;
- Development of tools, such as field forms, that facilitate consistent recording of field data; and
- Creation of online (intranet) manual of company standards for real-time access to the latest version by all employees.
You can achieve greater consistency in logging and log preparation when you engage GroundLogs in the following ways:
- Use our online boring log software which ensures that you will always enter data in a consistent manner;
- Select one of our standard log templates when using our boring log software and log drafting services; and
- Use our drafting services to prepare logs in your templates and consistently receive drafted logs in those templates.
Does this sound useful? If so, simply register to get started.
If you would like to engage us on a consulting assignment with the goal of improving office, program, or company consistency in logging and log preparation, please contact us. We have extensive experience in developing standard operating procedures and tools, training employees, and developing quality management platforms for geoconsulting firms.